Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Year In...

I have been in Morocco for a year now and in my current community for 9 months now. I feel like I just got here...
I am currently sitting at a cyber cafe in ouarzazate, the town in which I spent my first three months in morocco. It feels surreal to be back here after not having travelled south in almost a year. The people, architecture, smells, landscape, language and many other things are all so different from where I have been living these past nine months. I was just in Marrakech but I felt as if I was in another country. I think I saw more tourists than moroccans there. The city felt as if it has been modeled after what tourists are looking for when they think of morocco. I liked marrakech but it just didnt feel like the morocco that i have lived in and grown to love. I will be going to germany in a couple of weeks for vacation and i think that being in kech actually helped somewhat prepare me mentally for what i will encounter there.
I am heading to the small town in which I had language training. I havent seen my host family there in a year and cant wait to see them. My mind is all over the place right now. My senses are overwhelmed by the extreme changes that I am facing by just having traveled 10 hours south. I cant even bgin to describe what it feels like to be in a city i knew well but now feel like i dont know at all...

No comments: