Tuesday, December 8, 2009

6 Months Left...

As the days get colder it becomes more difficult to get out of (my very warm) bed every morning. I’m pushing myself to get up early and enjoy my town as it slowly wakes up and as the sun slowly comes over the mountain. I do this because the realization that I have six months left in Morocco has been on my mind a lot recently. I have been aware of my time left here, but only superficially. Now it has really dawned upon me that I will be leaving soon. It feels strange to write that but I have to constantly remind myself that it is true. I’m leaving soon. Aywa. I suddenly feel rushed to visit everyone dear to me. I feel the need to visit every corner of this wonderful country; however, I also feel the need to spend every waking moment in my community. How do I reconcile these two polar desires? Not only am I struggling with these thoughts but now I am also being forced to make plans for my return. Job searching is now something that I have to add to my weekly cyber list. I don’t want to think about responsibilities in America while trying to savor my last months in Morocco. I don’t mean to sound melodramatic but six months go terribly fast. I don’t know where the last 18 months have gone…

My sitemate, Briana, recently finished her service here and has since returned to America. I was with her when she began to feel the crunch of her impending departure. I was the as the weeks left became days and then hours. I hated to see her go but that’s how our service works. Her preparations for departure made me think about when I would have to do the same. Thoughts about my departure crossed my mind but for some reason they still appeared distant. Now that my closing of service date is set and now that I have reached the six months remaining mark, I can’t help but feel a bit rushed. (I empathize with you Bri :/ ) I still have a lot of health education to do and a new sitemate to show around so for the time being that’s what I will concentrate on.



Part of my town just as the sun came over the mountain. :)

3 comments:

Briana said...

I love u naimanu and wish I could tell you readjustment wasn't awful but it is! But we will hold ait Hamza dear in our hearts forever!

Unknown said...

we're waiting for you!

Natalie Camarena said...

thanks :)