Tuesday, October 20, 2009

More Health Lessons

The 15th of this month was global handwashing day so I dragged Briana to one of the schools in our town so that we could do some handwashing lessons. I haven't previously taught at this particular school so it was nice to teach some kids that I don't know very well. This particular school is located about a 20 minute walk through the fields. The school is actually close to where I did my homestay.
Anyways, I talked to the kids about microbes and general sanitation. Then Bri and I demonstrated proper handwashing methods. Then we had a few kids come up to the front of the class to show us how they wash their hands. The funny thing is that they all knew proper handwashing already! So I felt a little silly but really the point is to reinforce proper handwashing. Just beacause they know how to wash their hands, doesn't mean that they do it correctly everytimle they should. I mean, almost every house that I go to still only uses water (and NO soap) to wash their hands before a meal. I'm just trying to get people to use soap when washing their hands... Just using soap could eliminate a lot of diseases people around here get, like diarrhea. I'll continue with the lessons at the two other schools and next week I'll be teaching a lesson about proper nutrition at this same school. Wish me luck :)




No comments: