Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ras Lma

I promised that I would write about my recent vacation to Ras Lma and look I'm keeping my promise. :) My sitemate, Briana, and I are actually just two days apart in age. Crazy huh? So we decided to celebrate our birthdays together by going to a quiet beach on the Mediterranean. We went a week after our birthday and had quite an adventure getting there. We were waiting to take a train from Fes to Nador and instead of getting on the next train we were at the train station for hours because a previous train on that route had derailed. We couldn't leave until they cleared the mess up. Once we did leave we thought all was well but only discoverd a few hours later that we had to change trains (trainge) because the derailed train was still on the tracks. We walked past the derailed train and hopped on a new overcrowded and hot train. After hours of heat, tiredness, hunger and everything else we finally made it to Nador. Once there we took a grand taxi to Ras Lma. None of us had been before and were rather pleasantly surprised by our accomadations and the town in general.
Ras Lma is actually a little berber town nestled between the mountains and the sea. The town doesn't have hotels so we rented an apartment. The only people vacationing there were Moroccans. Really I think I only saw two other foreigners. The water was warm and it felt great to just relax and take in the scenery about me. I also learned a bit about the differences between the berber dialect spoken there as compared to the one that I have been learning :)

Cliffs below the lighthouse. Its beautiful here and these cliffs are perfect for a nice (and sorta scary) jump into the sea. I actually jumped, as you can see below. I did it after a couple of failed attempts haha. And no, I still don't know how to swim, but my friend was below in the water ready to grab me once I went under. It was actually a lot of fun :)


No comments: