Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Spring!

Spring feels like a season lasting barely long enough to be fully appreciated. When I returned from Europe in late March, I thought that spring had finally arrived despite the still rather chilly weather. After a long, harsh winter I was more than ready for spring. I wanted to walk around with only two layers on rather than 4. My feet yearned to escape from the stuffiness of two pairs of socks and suffocating shoes. It snowed twice in April. I think I will still consider that spring; I mean the snow didn’t stick. It counts right?
The days have been satisfyingly warm these past few weeks. There have also been refreshing thunderstorms in the late afternoons. My sitemate and I went out to a spring with a couple of girls from our town. The spring, which feeds our river, was quite a walk away but I’m glad when I can get out of my house and walk around. (esp after many months of sitting indoors)
Spring has also brought quite a variety of fruits to souk. As of late, I have been enjoying some of the best strawberries ever. This past week I also saw lettuce! I have been cooking lighter meals and am glad to move away from what I cooked in winter.
I am enjoying this season as much as I can because summer is already poking its head out. Just as I can see the signs of spring at souk, I can also see the signs of summer encroaching upon us. The first melons have appeared and this past week I had watermelon for the first time since last summer! Cherries have also made an appearance. Though still rather green and small, plums and peaches also abound. I like summer because of the abundance of fruit (unlike the oranges and bananas of winter) but really I prefer the temperate climate of spring. It doesn’t get extremely hot where I live but it’s true that this is a cool country with a very (very) hot sun.



By the spring in my town.


Part of the spring is enclosed by this barrier. It feeds the irrigation ditch (pictured) and our river.

Those bubbly things are the spring :) Its looks really funny and the water is super safe to drink.

On the walk to the spring along the river that runs through my town.


No comments: