Thursday, April 3, 2008

Isolation?

I will be spending this coming week in my host village and one of my taks is to think about isolation. We will be getting interviewed for our final site placement so they have asked us to think about what isolation means to us. I've been thinking about it a bit, but I'm still having some trouble coming up with a definition in this context.
For example, two other trainees and myself spent three days with a current volunteer out in the desert; and thats pretty isolated. The volunteer is pretty far from many other volunteers and from any bigger cities. Public transportation by his site was scarce and we had to go out and wait for a bus at least a half hour before its estimated arrival time. The site was also rather barren and extremely HOT (90-100 degress in march!) Other than these minor details his site was great. His community really liked him and he had many gfriends there. Becuase of this, I can't make up my mind as to whether i want to be near to other volunteers or whether i would rather have only my community as my social network. All I know is that I don't want to be placed in the desert.

No comments: