Sunday, March 23, 2008

isminu nadya

hi everyone!
i wish i could have written during the week but i was about 14 km from the nearest internet connection. I spent this past week in a small village situated in a beautiful valley. I dont even know where to begin telling you about it... I lived with a moroccan family and had a great experience. I ate the best couscous ever! it takes a couple hours to prepare on a wood fired stove, and my host mom even let me help with it.
ive been learning the tamazight languaga also. its one of the three berber languages. i also got a new name :) my new name in that village is nadya :) the people were really cordial and generous and really understanding considering that we went there with close to no knowledge of their language. this is the language that i will be using for the next two years.
being in that village with my host family was one of the best learning experiences thus far. I was able to observe the way in which the families interacted and just generally how life is in a small rural village. we went on a few nature walks through the fields and ate almonds right off the trees. there were also many rose bushes lining all the fields...and soon theyll be blooming :)
theres a lot more that i will write about...but i will do it a bit later once i can collect my thoughts better and reflect on the past weeks events.


oh, if anyone wants me to write about anything specific such as food or dress or whatever, let me know

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha, you and couscous.